[TowerTalk] Big Array

Chuck O'Neal cdoneal at comcast.net
Thu Nov 23 00:46:16 EST 2006

I think it's a lot simpler than that.

There are so many varied interests in HF amateur radio that one antenna
scheme that satisfies all doesn't exist.  It's all about individual
interests.

For this antenna, what was the designer's goals and does this design achieve
them?   I suspect that with a far simpler array and a sacrifice of 3 dB of
gain, a far more practical antenna could have been built at much lower cost
and maintenance requirements that would be close enough. There would be no
sacrifice in receive capability.  Control over radiation angle is FAR more
important than absolute gain, and given that array's design, the radiation
angle control is limited since it's too close to the ground for elevation
control to work as the designers expect, except maybe on 12 or 10 M.

You need roughly a minimum of 4 wavelengths above ground before the
reflection effects go away significantly to gain the advantage of free space
behavior where elevation control is meaningful.  At the same time you also
give up the 6 dB of ground reflection gain. That crossover point is nebulous
and dependant on your terrain and ground conditions.

Bottom line is that there is no free lunch.....

Chuck..K1KW