[TowerTalk] Fallen tower may rise again

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Nov 23 13:57:54 EST 2006

> I've flown in and out of Fullerton a lot back in the 70's and 80's and
> never
> felt that it was a hazard....any pilot shouldn't be below 1000 AGL in that
> area anyways.....

If the diagram is correct it's under part of the pattern and pretty much in
line with an established route and it's in the airport area which means the
1000 foot rule does not apply.

That would normally limit towers in those areas to 200 feet or less. They
probably get by with the greater height as it's not in line with a runway.
The scale shows the tower location to be about 1 1/2 miles from the runway.
Planes coming in to land are quite likely to be much closer to 500 feet than
1000.

If they stuck to normal patterns the tower is in a relatively inconvenient
location. With the modified patterns established due to build up around the
airport the tower is no longer a potential hazard, it has proven to be one.

However there was a post saying there was some misinformation in the
article. I'm still waiting to find out what it was. Until then I have to go
on what the article said.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com