[TowerTalk] Ground Connection to a Well Casing

Doug Rehman rehman at surveil.com
Sat Nov 25 10:52:04 EST 2006

I'm doing some work on my ground system and the last connection I need to
make is to the well casing/well pump. I've got 1.5" copper strap run to it
and need to make the connection.

The well casing has been in around 30 years. My first thought was to connect
it in the same manner as to a tower leg: stainless steel spacer and a
stainless compression clamp. I used a wire brush on a drill to try to clean
the attachment area, but the surface remained non-conductive. (Touching the
DVM leads to the cleaned area didn't show conductivity.)

I figure my options are to use an angle grinder to more aggressively "clean"
the well casing or to weld a bolt onto the casing.

Opinions?

Tnx,
Doug
K4DDR