[TowerTalk] HF Vertical Opinions NEEDED...

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Nov 26 17:16:48 EST 2006

Thanks for the additional information Bob.
As I said the poor results on 20 may be and quite likely are due to my
installation and in particular the elevated installation.

If I can get it to perform on the other bands like it does on 40 I'd be very
happy.

> I also have a AV-640 (my only HF antenna currently) and my experience
> with it over the past 5 years is quite different.  I have had good

I've had this one up about 3.  The main rig in the shop is one of the little
Yaesu FT897Ds which works well although I have to admit I'd much rather have
a rig out there that is not of the small menu driven type. OTOH the price
suited the shop. <:-))  I monitor W1AW on 40 to keep my speed up.  I just
leave the audio turned up while working out there. I really need to put in a
switch so I can use the wire antennas off the big tower for 75 and 160 as
I'm usually in the shop well after midnight.

> results from 40-10 (don't do 6) and a contact with 5A7A this morning
> through the pileup on 20 shows that it is definitely not a dummy load
> on that band :^)

It was suggested that I isolate the vertical from the tower and I may give
that a try. However this is a "cheap" aluminum tower that is not of a
quality I'd want to climb so I need to do a bit of tree pruning (or
removing) before I can do much with or to it.