[TowerTalk] ACCESS BOX

ersmar at comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 09:42:04 EST 2006

Tommy:

     I used type 3R hinged enclosures from Hoffman  http://www.hoffmanonline.com/product_catalog/section_index.aspx?cat_1=34&cat_2=2346&SelectCatID=2346&CatID=2346  (watch for line wrapping in the URL)   to enclose my antenna switch and some Polyphasers for my tower.  They are professional grade enclosures that you should be able to order from a local electrical supply house (probably not Home Despot or Lowe's.)

     I mounted the switch to the side wall inside the enclosure (obviously) with the SO-239's facing outward, not downard, for easy access.  I mounted the Polyphasers on the opposite wall (they are the bulkhead type that penetrate to the outside of the enclosure.)  Because of the enamel paint used on the enclosure, I decided to grind off the paint underneath the Polyphasers on the inside to provide better electrical contact.  But before mounting the arrestors, I sprayed some cold galvanizing paint (HD or Lowe's) onto the enclosure at those spots and allowed it to dry thoroughly.

     Finally, I ran a ground wire from the tower leg into the box through a PVC shoulder and connected it to the box with a bolted ground clamp.  I ground the paint off underneath this clamp and sprayed it, too.  I plugged up the shoulder with electrician's putty.  You ought to find a way to connect a separate ground lead to your cabinet as well.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "TOMMY HALIBURTON" <ROCKETJ10 at MSN.COM>