[TowerTalk] are small loops in beverages bad?

Paul Kelley N1BUG paul.kelley.n1bug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:37:37 EST 2006

Tonno,

I have tried hanging my Beverages the way you suggest and also
without any such loops. I could see no difference in performance.

But, I had more problems with broken Beverages when it was looped
around something. If it is partly supported by small trees and there
is not enough slack in the wire, the wire may break when the trees
sway in a strong wind. If a tree falls on the Beverage, it will
definitely break the wire.

Now I use insulators in which the wire is free to move... a "U"
shaped plastic clip nailed to the tree and the wire simply running
through the "U". At the far end (terminated end) of each Beverage I
fasten it to the support tree with a short length of smaller
diameter wire, insulated from the Beverage wire itself. If the
forces of wind are too great or a tree falls on the Beverage, this
'strain relief' at the end will break first, saving the Beverage
wire. It seems less trouble to repair this than to keep splicing
broken Beverages. I also use small diameter wire (easily broken) to
connect the Beverage wire to the box containing the terminating
resistor. This prevents damage to the terminating box if something
falls on the Beverage.

73,
Paul N1BUG