[TowerTalk] Stuck aluminum tubes and caution

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 04:07:57 EST 2006

Roger said:
>Particularly on the two pieces I have that were driven together.   They are probably gauled, but if not, or
minimally I just might be able to get them apart.<
If they were driven together, I don't have a lot of hopes, although you may be lucky. A lot will depend if there's been any corrosion.
Still, when I was dismantling my father's antennas after he died, I took two 20 foot, 2 inch diameter, 1/8 inch wall aluminium tubes that were joined by a specially turned aluminium bar that had been driven into the ends, and just pulled them apart - something I couldn't do when I put them together some 20 years earlier. I think in that case, the joining bar had corroded down in size - it was white and powdery.
73
Peter G3RZP