[TowerTalk] Verticals and Raised Radials

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Nov 30 19:25:53 EST 2006

Pat,

I've used both elevated feedpoints and feedpoints near the ground with elevated radials and both work ok.

If you use "gull wing radials" (i.e., base near the ground with elevated radials), you'll need to extend the length of the vertical radiator and the resonant radials by a few feet to achieve resonance because part of the vertical and the sloped radials behave as a continuation of your transmission line instead of as a radiator or as radials respectively.

Don't expect miracles with this arrangement.  When I replaced my elevated radials with 30,000 feet of ground radials, the performance of my 160M 4-square antenna improved dramatically.  Just ask anyone who's heard the improved signals from my 4-square antenna over the last year.

With antennas -- as with so many other things -- there's no free lunch...

73!
Frank
W3LPL