[TowerTalk] How Long

crawfish crawfish at surfmore.net
Sun Oct 1 21:16:39 EDT 2006

A few years ago, there was a 1347 foot TV broadcast tower built southwest of me about 10 miles. I spent a lot of time after work going over there to watch the last work of the day. I asked the guy who was in charge how long it took to climb a 2000 foot tower. He referred the question to one of his younger men, who said it took him 4 hours to climb an 1800 footer. He said plan on spending the morning climbing,then work and spend the rest of the day climbing down. They had a cable mounted on the tower that they used to pull tower sections up with, that the workers used to clip onto and let themselves down with(power assisted). I took still pictures but had no camcorder. I let them have a throw-away camera to take pictures from the tower @ 820 feet with. Awesome!! My work load increased and I wasn't able to see the last 500 feet go up until after they left.So I would say 10 hours would be a conservative estimate.YMMV.
                                                    Joe W4AAB