[TowerTalk] different OCF dipoles?

Eugene Hertz ehertz at tcaf.org
Mon Oct 2 00:20:51 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I am thinking of abandoning an original idea for a fan inverted-L and instead going for a windom/ocfd.  I saw a few mfg of these for up to 80m and while they both had very similar total length, the length of the legs were rather different:

Buckmaster 7-band OCF: 45' + 90' = 135' total (claim: 75/80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10, & 6 meters)

Carolina Windom OCF: 50' + 83' - 133' total (claim 80-10m)
Others ocf mfg's have similar length legs.

Another point of confusion for me. The buckmaster does not have a predefined vertical component. You add your own coax and they say the length is not critical.  The carolina (and others) have a specific 22' vertical radiator and then you add your own coax after a "line isolator"

Would anyone be willing to help me unravel these mysteries?
First: What is the effect of the different leg lengths?
Second: What is the impact of having/not having a specific length radiator vs just add coax.