[TowerTalk] Additional Big-Grip Installation Question

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:01:36 EDT 2006

Re: previous discussion on using Big-Grip dead-ends, or preforms, with 3/16"
guy wire and type 502 insulators.

In the previous thread it was emphasised that with the insulators, dead-ends
are to be applied at the second cross-over mark.

Special thanks to the reader of this Board who kindly sent me a copy of the
instruction sheets from PLP.

But the factory instruction sheet does not completely resolve my question
about the product.  On page 3, the Hardware Accessories Dimensions (Table 1)
indicates that with the 3/16" grips, the maximum seat dimension with the
FIRST crossover mark is 1-3/4", and using the second crossover mark, the
maximum seat dimension is 2-1/2".  I  measured a 502 insulator, and the
maximum width of the seat inside the groove is exactly 1-3/4", which would
indicate that the first crossover mark should be used.

The radius of the interior part of the 502 insulator that seats the Big-Grip
exactly matches that of the loop of the Big-Grip as it arrives from the
factory.

The difference between what is shown in Table 1 and the 502 insulator, as I
see it, is that the seat dimensions shown in the table are round in shape,
the dimension being the diameter of a circle, whereas the shape of the 502
insulator is elongated, therefore the end of the insulator spreads out the
wire between the loop of the dead-end and the crossover point.  I can see
the logic of why the second crossover point might be used, to reduce
distortion of the natural shape of the loop by the elongated shape of the
insulator, but the spec sheet from PLP does't even mention using the product
with insulators.

Can anyone quote anything from the PLP factory that specifically directs the
user to apply the dead-ends at the second cross-over mark when using the
size 502 insulator?

Thanks and 73,

Don k4kyv