[TowerTalk] coax

Mike Clarson mclarson at rcc.com
Wed Oct 4 12:25:56 EDT 2006

Craig: You are correct, of course. The rating I quoted was the "Peak Power"
rating, and it was an attempt to add some levity to an otherwise dry
discussion. My refusal to use "emoticons" causes these attempts to get
missed sometimes.  Average power rating depends on frequency. CNT(Andrew)
and LMR (Times)average ratings are the same at every frequency listed (5.5
KW at 30 mHz) The WBC (CommScope), while also 5.5 kW @ 30 mHz, average drops
to 0.82 kW at 960 mHz vs 0.89kW for CNT and LMR. Apparently the breakdown
voltage of the WBC is a bit lower than the others, and the attenuation is a
hair higher at some frequencies. My understanding is peak power is what the
cable can handle without breaking down, assuming standing waves do not cause
the breakdown voltage to be exceeded, and the average power is the power the
cable can handle continuously without melting. There is probably an
operating temperature range and duty cycle rating involved in that spec
also. 73, Mike, WV2ZOW