[TowerTalk] Grounding

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 22:23:46 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I've been reading a few online articles pertaining to single-point
ground systems and I need to clarify a few things. I've decided to
indeed go with a single-point panel and a perimeter ground wire

Yes, this is the way to go.  Also to this SPG you tie your station
equipment ground and run around the perimeter of the house to your electrical service entrance ground.

1): I've driven 18 ground rods in (most went all the way, but 5 or 6
had about 2 or 3 feet still sticking out of the ground (tree roots or
boulders under the topsoil, I suspect here).

Just cut them off just below ground level and have at it.

I'm planning to tie all
of this together with #4 solid.

CadWelding the connections is best and maintenance free.

I understand that the "sphere of
influence" is typically double the ground rod length, but now there
are sections that are 16 feet apart with only 5 or 6 feet of rod in
the ground. Is this going to be a problem, do you think?

Theoretically you should drive in other shorter rods to "fill in" the voids.  I'd say do it.

Also, do the
ends of the buried lightning-protection radials need to be bonded to
a ground rod or is it OK to go from a 16'-intermediate point ground
rod to a "free end."

Ground rod at the end of the radial.

2: I've had a few people tell me that the radials needed for RF
counterpoise purposes need not be bonded to the lightning protection
ground, but I ran into one online presentation that deemed it
mandatory. What is the recommended practice here?

One can't be over-grounded and tieing all together will not hurt.

3: UPSs with MOVs. I'm reading that MOV surge suppressors are NOT a
good thing in terms of lightning protection. On the other hand, UPSs
are needed for all the PCs in the house. How can I get the UPS
protection I need and still have solid lightning protection?

The MOVs in commercial surge suppressors are prone to failure due to energy surges.
You need to purchase the "real" thing from Polyphaser or ICE for your lightning arresting.

4): (related to the above): Where are TVSS (normal-mode) suppressors
sold?

Companies listed aboe.

Since there will be about 250' of #4 wire between my SPGP and
the house's service ground, do I need to get an expensive "whole
house" device as well as TVSS on the SPGP in the shack?

That's one way.  Personally I have suppressors by ICE on my power lines
just at the shack and not the whole house.

I'm not in a
heavily-at-risk part of the country (Northern NJ) but we do get some
good storms every year--and I've got a 70' crank-up which *usually*
goes down to about 40' or so when there's word of severe weather on the way.

You're in a risky area, don't deny the fact.  You need to install a proper grounding system.
Go to the Polyphaser and ICE websites and thoroughly read all their technical articles.
All the info is there and if properly installed with no minor details missed, you never
have to disconnect.  It can be done.

Phil

--

Phil Camera, KB9CRY