[TowerTalk] Building a "little pistol" contest station and theC-31XR

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 6 15:23:42 EDT 2006

At 09:22 AM 10/6/2006, Al Williams wrote:
>I had planned on using the C31XR with separate feedlines in a SO2R operation
>and then became concerned about how badly the close proximity of the
>elements would cause interference to the second rig and maybe even burn out
>the front end.
>
>I have all band Dunestar filters but was concerned about if the filter was
>accidentally switched out during the frenzied contest.
>
>EZNEC showed that the coupled signal could be quite strong on the adjacent
>elements?

And even with the filters, you're putting a pretty healthy out of
band signal into the victim receiver.

The other issue would be the spurious output from the transmitter
that's on one band that spreads into the adjacent bands.  Say you're
putting out 100W on 15m, and the transmitter has (legal) spurious
levels of -40 dB on the adjacent band.  That's +10dBm, in band, so
the receiver filter won't filter it out.  If you had filters on both
Tx AND Rx, it would probably help (-40 dB down spurs - 40dB for a
filter is spurs down 80 dB at the tx antenna, probably another 20dB
down into the victim receiver.. that's starting to be reasonable,
although I hope you weren't planning on digging out S-0 signals on
the other reciever)