[TowerTalk] Aluminum Tube...NOT Pipe

Robin Midgett K4IDC at Comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 19:37:08 EDT 2006

WB0W carries 2" OD x 1/4" wall 6061-T6 aluminum tubing for gin poles
and such. He keeps both 24' lengths & 12' lengths. You'll have a
tough time beating his price. If you can coordinate with his ham fest
schedule, you could meet him at an event and avoid the freight
charges. Google search his call sign...you'll find him.

BTW, pipe is used to carry fluids and/or gases or wire. It is not
used for engineering supports or structures; it's mechanical
properties are not normally disclosed for such purposes. Pipe is
usually described in terms of inside diameter, material and working
pressure; little else.

Tubing is used for engineering supports and structures, and it is
usually described in terms of the material, outside diameter and/or
wall thickness, AND mechanical properties, i.e. yield strength and
ultimate tensile strength...which is why we want tubing, not pipe, for masts.
In short, we want tubing for masts...not pipe. I know, I
know...you've gotten away with it for decades, and so did I...at
least until that strong wind came along....

Thanks,
Robin Midgett K4IDC
http://www.people.vanderbilt.edu/~robin.midgett/index.htm