[TowerTalk] Tower in the woods

Cam and Juli Hedrick walnutcreek at appstate.net
Tue Oct 10 19:02:25 EDT 2006

Hi,
I agree with Richard about things falling on towers causing failure most of
the time.  I thought I was going to have to sue a logging company when they
felled a tree that hit one of my guy lines, but the tower stayed up long
enough for me to get a new guy installed as only the top guy on 100' of Rohn
45 was broken I lucked out.  There was also no wind that day.
As far as a tower in the woods goes I'd say no tree limbs with ten feet of
the guys lines...should give you about 15 years of growth if you have hard
wood trees.  If pines, clear them out of within 100' of the tower as they
are prone to drop in high winds (We have hurricane force winds here most of
the winter).  Have you considered a paintjob to match the background? That
might keep her happy.  My XYL is anti towers and I have 4 up believe it or
not.  No paint job, but the shack is a long way from the house...about 150
yards.
Maybe a new shack and tower on another part of the 4 acres would work out
for you.
Good luck,
Cam
WA4JKW