[TowerTalk] Tower in the woods

K3GM k3gm_qrp at verizon.net
Tue Oct 10 20:54:01 EDT 2006

Funny, I just called a tree guy today about clearing some big pines in my
woods for a new tower of the same height as yours.  I've decided to clear
only the immediate tower area, plus "guy lanes" to prevent large limbs from
falling directly down on them.  As far as a tall pine falling into the tower
or onto a guy, I'm going to take my chances.  In the years I've been here
(6) and nothing like that has occured.  Some of these are old growth trees
that would still be growing long after my remains are scattered among them,
so it seems a shame to cut them down to satisfy a fleeting moment during
their lifetime. An advantage to the 3L SteppIR is it can be assembled on the
tower using the boomslide accessory.  It's how I assembled mine on my
present tower because tramming was not an option.  As it is now. the
elements barely clear the branches of the surrounding pines which dwarf my
present installation.
Good luck,
Tom Hybiske K3GM