[TowerTalk] Balun on a vertical

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 10:51:22 EDT 2006

Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
>Wow, though... I just looked at the price of the titanex GP 160/10... I
>find 600 Euros? Something to consider is that using the fiberglass pole
>+ wire like I've done would give you basically the same antenna with
>lots and lots of Euros left to spend on the matching networks and other
>contesting gear.  I think the fiberglass pole is Eur 89 or so.
>
>For Eur 200 you can get an 18m fiberglass pole which would do better on
>160 and 80.
>
>I guess the longevity of a heavy aluminum vertical might be more than
>the fiberglass poles, but I suppose that depends on the particulars of
>location and weather.  fiberglass + wire is going to explode in a
>lightning strike, I expect, but would do better in salt air than
>aluminum. A wire vertical will also have a faster reactance change than
>a 50mm base diameter aluminum vertical, and therefore, I guess it has
>less useable bandwidth.  There are things to consider other than price
>if you're going to go this route, but if you're really looking for
>"cheap and cheerful, " though, I can recommend Spiderbeam's stuff.
> I'd expect my 12m pole to take quite a wind and still stand back up
>straight afterward.

Mine certainly has - tied to an 8ft post, on a hilltop only two miles
from the Irish Sea. The top quite frequently bends below horizontal in
the gales, but it comes back again.

Since the constant swaying is always trying to loosen the joints of
telescoping poles, the optional clamp kit is a good investment.  A set
of very light guys at the 30ft level is also a big help to reduce the
swaying. I used pale blue plastic binder twine ("farmer's friend") which
is almost invisible.

We just installed another 40ft Spiderbeam pole and vertical wire at
GM4PMK's place, which is right on the seashore. As Dan suggests, the
money saved (compared with buying a complex multiband antenna) will be
spent on an auto-ATU to go at the foot of his pole.

I agree entirely with Andrew ZS6AAA's reservations about using
parallel-line with a vertical with radials, for exactly the reasons he
gives. "Balanced", it ain't.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK