[TowerTalk] Balun on a vertical

Duncan Lindsay -MSC Valencia- duncan at mscvalencia.com
Wed Oct 11 10:16:43 EDT 2006

Hi Dan

I already answered Andrew off-list but looking at your answer I am
pleasantly surprised to see we are thinking along the same lines.

When I mentioned the Titanex antenna, I was thinking of making one, not
buying one.

If we were to go along the loading and matching lines, I'd consider buying
an EA5JK top band vertical (see www.qsl.net/ea5jk ) for EUR 600, a much
better buy than the Titanex, I feel. A 17m long long aluminium vertical with
tilting base and manual matching unit for 160, 80, 40 and 30 at the base.

Alternatively, I have a 12m Spiderbeam pole and this was indeed what I was
thinking of using "a la titanex" but with, as you say, lots of cash left
over. The problem was how to feed it. The auto ATU seems an expensive way to
go, as I said to Andrew, for occasional contesting use I would consider
setting up the manual ATU at the antenna base.

That's what comes of being a cheapskate Scotsman.

73 de Duncan EA5ON (aka GM7CXM)