[TowerTalk] How best to keep the rebar cage centered in the hole?

ersmar at comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 20:35:11 EDT 2006

Scotty:

     Do NOT use the rebar in the foundation hole as an anchor point for your rebar cage.  The ends of the rebars sticking into the dirt will eventually corrode and follow the rest of the rebar into the concrete mass.  That could lead to cracking, especially that close to the top of the concrete.  (That's why you're using paving stones in the bottom of the hole - to keep the rebar ends out of the dirt - right?)

     If you framed out the top of the hole to form a neat concrete crown for the top of the concrete pour, you can hammer in a few nails around that wooden form, leaving a half inch of nail sticking out.  Then wrap some rebar wire around the upper rebar pieces and use the nails to hold these wire pieces in place.  That will give some rigidity to your rebar cage while the concrete is being poured.

     If you did not use wood to form the top of your concrete base, then you can hammer some rebars into the dirt ON TOP of the ground, then anchor the rebar wires to these rebars.

     When the concrete gets near these top pieces of rebar, simply cut the wires off the rebar and pull the wires out of the form, then finish the pour.  There will be enough concrete in the hole by that time to keep the rebar from moving any more.  Don't let the wires stick out of the concrete while it's curing - corrosion can find its way into the concrete through the corroding wires.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Scotty Rathjen" <scotty at ashiko.com>