[TowerTalk] How best to keep the rebar cage centered in thehole?

ersmar at comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 22:39:28 EDT 2006

Keith:

    I have no experience with a foundation failing due to corrosion of the rebar.  However, I based my advice on the following postings, among others, that I've read here on TT over the past 8 years of my subscription:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2003-08/msg00332.html

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2003-08/msg00335.html

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/1998-11/msg00148.html

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/1998-11/msg00133.html

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2003-08/msg00330.html

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/1998-10/msg00034.html

Etc., etc.

     Plus my copy of the UBC (1997), in Section 1907.7.1 which covers (pun intended) reinforcing for cast-in-place concrete (nonprestressed), requires a minimum reinforcement cover of three inches for concrete cast against and permanently exposed to earth (the situation for my tower's concrete base.)

     Plus the Rohn drawings I've seen over the years, and my own Trylon tower's drawings, specifically call for a three inch cover over all rebar, including the bottoms of the vertical pieces.

     So I guess you could say I have no empirical evidence and it's just my opinion.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson at sbcglobal.net>