[TowerTalk] N or UHF?

Charles Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Mon Oct 16 17:43:22 EDT 2006

On 10/16/2006 Dan Hearn wrote:

> Roger, I have heard of problems with N connectors on the end of long cables.
> There is reportedly a different thermal expansion  between shield and center
> conductor which tends to pull the center pin out of the socket. Apparently
> the UHF jobs are more tolerent of this. 73, Dan, N5AR

If you look in the archives, this has been debated a LOT.  The BIG
argument you'll get is "N connectors can't handle the power/voltage
that PL-259s can" - one interesting thing, I actually went to the AMP
website and looked up the ratings - counterintuitively, the N is
actually rated for higher voltage AND power than the PL-259, despite
the thicker pin on the PL-259

Personally, I wish all gear came with N connectors, but that's me.  I
have no problem putting them on - I guess it comes from the era when I
put on about 3000 BNC connectors over a couple of months - and I'm NOT
talking the crimp ones <g>.  After that, doing N connectors is "sigh,
give me the ruler, so I can measure this"

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for
 the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self defense."
 -- John Adams