[TowerTalk] KT-34 XA Problems

Larry Schimelpfenig k7sv at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 16 15:02:44 EDT 2006

Les,

While I don't remember where the resonant points were, I experienced
something similar with my KT34XA about five years ago. After looking at a
few other things I swapped the balun out and found that to be the culprit.
When I took the original KLM balun apart (sharp blow on a wood block jammed
against the edge of the PVC cap at one end) I found that rather than using a
solder lug to connect wires to the brass feed through studs, they had
simpled layed the wire in the slot of the brass screw and soldered it. The
wire had become detatched on one of the studs. Assuming the balun is easy to
get to, I'd check it first.

If that's not the problem, my guess is that you have developed a problem
with the shorting straps that connect the elements, capacitor tubes and
linear loading. Use searchable archives and search for KT34XA. You should
get many hits.

If the balun is good and all your elements are in good shape, I would
recommend rebuilding the antenna with the M2 KT36XA upgrade kit. The
cast/machined shorting bars are far far superior to the aluminum straps. I
did the upgrade 3 years ago or so and have been extremely happy with the
antenna.

73 de Larry K7SV