[TowerTalk] Tram Antenna Balancing

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Wed Oct 18 16:07:28 EDT 2006

I sent this to one of you guys who just asked, but I think it went only to
you not to the list.

In any case the easy solution is to put the tram wire above the antenna, put
a pulley on it, and hang the antenna from the pulley.  That way it can't
flip and can be lowered into its final position by releasing the tram wire
tension and letting it settle into position.  I have done this with a 6 ele
20m telrex, an 8 ele 15m telrex, 2 of the 40m4lldd m-squared yagis and a few
others.  Works slick and normally real easy to do.  The only warning is that
if you are going to the top of the tower and attach the tram to the mast and
it is a heavy antenna you need to back guy the mast or risk bending it.  see
pictures from 2006 antenna work raising of the top 40m4lldd to 180' on my
web site at http://www.k1ttt.net/2006towerwork.html.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net