[TowerTalk] Single Line Tram System - Ideas Please

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Wed Oct 18 16:59:31 EDT 2006

I don't get it, Lee. I've been using single-line tramming here for years. We've
installed and uninstalled everything you can imagine - not too long ago, a 4-el
40m Optibeam [great antenna; deserves this plug] went up the tram line. For
that lift, we used a tram line made of guy wire and pulled it up with a power
winch attached to the base of the tower. The pull line was also wire rope. For
smaller jobs, we get away with a rope tram line and hand-pull the antenna with
a rope.

I've never considered a fancy two-line tram; never saw a need. I simply hang
the antenna from the pulley that rides the main tram line with two straps to
the boom. The straps are attached to the boom at a spacing that ensures the
antenna is balanced under the pulley. Then we add a tag line somewhere to
control the antenna, and away we go.

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.k1ir.com