[TowerTalk] 8X on HF

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 20:59:23 EDT 2006

Besides VHF, I don't find 8x  all that great for long runs on the high HF
bands either.
At 28 MHz, 700 w. into 150 feet of 8x at 1:1 swr will deliver 400 w. to the
load.   I would rather have a lower loss feed so i can run 400 w. and see
most of that getting to the antenna.  A run of good coax is a one-time
expense because it will last a long time and hold up under a variety of
physical and electrical conditions.  I used this loss calculator to
experiment with different types of feed on different frequencies and
lengths:

http://www.ocarc.ca/coax.htm

rob / k5uj