[TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Oct 25 09:55:55 EDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 1:32 AM, Allen R. Brier wrote:

> What is the best/easiest method to sink ground rods? I know the
> trick of
> using water to fill the hole several times to make it easy, but I
> have also
> heard that the ground contact is not as good using this method vs.
> pounding
> the rod in the hard way, in dry ground. Which is best?

The best way is to pound them in. Doing that can be tricky. It all
depends on the soil. I put a couple of ground rods in at W4AN (SK)'s
superstation in Dahlonegah, GA. Soil there was undisturbed forest
floor. The ground rods could be pushed almost a foot, and hammered in
with a 20 oz hammer all but the last two feet. Really soft ground.

Most of Georgia isn't like that -- around Atlanta it is hard clay.
Back in the mid-80s, I broke three sledgehammer handles trying to put
two ground rods in during a drought. After that, I built a tool.

My ground rod driving tool consists of a 12" steel pipe nipple with
two couplers and a plug on one end. To this, I added a couple of
collars and 15 lbs from a set of dumbell weights. The result is a 15
lb hammer with about a 1 foot throw that cannot miss.

It only takes about 10 minutes to put in a ground rod with this
device, even in the hardest clay soil.

When I put up my tower five years ago, putting in the four ground
rods was a snap.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901