[TowerTalk] Using US Tower HDX-572MDPL Raising Fixture

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Sat Oct 28 22:36:28 EDT 2006

Yes, it is normal.  The tower's center of gravity must lie outward from the
tower to beyond the hinge bolts for the gravity to exert force to tilt the
tower over without external force.  I use an automobile floor jack under the
tower (away from the hinge legs) to apply the force to begin its tilting.

You may have been lucky.  It is quite possible for the tilting winch clutch
to be in a free wheeling mode and not apply the braking that holds the winch
from winding out the cable.  That happened to me but I managed to grab the
handle before it got too much momentum.  It is very important to test that
the clutch is engaged before tilting the tower over (or else you will have
to keep control of the handle until the tower is all the way tilted).  It
might be possible to "snap the clutch mechanism to engage" by temporarily
cranking the tower tilt back up a little.  I didn't think of that and so I
tilted the tower all the way down by holding on to the handle.

After that episode, I always tie a "safety" cable or rope between the tower
and the tilting fixture to stop the tower from tilting once it gets beyond
the center of gravity a bit.  If the clutch is holding the tower, I then
untie the safety rope.

k7puc

Ps  The center of gravity will also cause the tower to "fall into place"
once the center of gravity passes inward from the hinge bolts when you are
bringing the tower back to vertical.  You should be careful that your hands
and everything else is in the clear.