[TowerTalk] Skilfast mast - how to measure tension on guys

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 17:34:30 EST 2006

In a message dated 10/28/2006 1:01:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Hello, I have been onsite before and am in a quandary. We  are ready to
erect
the mast (600mm triangle section 40metres, 3 sets of  guys on 3 sides) and
need to know how to tension without sophisticated  measuring devices. I heard
hitting the wire and counting time for the  oscillation to return, also have
seen the Loos Tension device and wondering  if this could be fabricated to
suit a given wire diameter and tension.any  ideas

    Counting the oscillations is for bigger and  longer guys than on a
typical amateur tower. It takes some practice and  trig to get a result.

    The simplest, cheapest and most accurate way to  do it is to use a LOOS
tensionmeter. They make metric versions that you might  be able to get from a
sailboat supply house in your neck of the woods. If not,  try a google search
and you'll turn some up.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -