[TowerTalk] TIC rotor

Nick Pair daweezil2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 14:04:55 EST 2006

Hi,

I think I can help you a bit on the TIC setup. First let me say that I don"t have a TIC but have set up many rotatory actuators industrially.
I see the problem as you are setting the pot at 180 deg. when it is at the stop which would be 212 1/2 deg as measured.
When you run the rotor CW and then CCW to find the over travel in degrees, you need to set the readout pot so that the indicator reads 212 1/2 degrees at the stops. That is the 180 deg plus half  the over travel. It should read 180 as it passes the point half way between the CW and CCW marks. Or you can make a mark centered between the CW and CCW marks, the short way and set the rotor CW at this mark and adjust the pot to read 180 on indicator. Then rotate CCW to this same mark and adjust to -180  at indicator. You will have to repeat this a couple of times to check for interaction between CW and CCW settings but should be pretty close.
If the indicators don't read above 180 then the first method won't work but the second will work either way.
Hope this helps a little and should work no matter what the gearing is on the motors as you are finding the true center between the stops which will be the plus and minus 180's.

I know a picture would tell this better but I think its clear enough written, but just ask if not.

Good luck on this frustrating point,
Nick
WB7PEK