[TowerTalk] cableties and taping

George Lee geokr5c at cablelynx.com
Fri Sep 1 11:35:56 EDT 2006

Just my personal use of cableties is to use the black ones.  After making the tie I use Scotch 33+ and make a couple of wraps over the tie.  Have some that have been on my tower more than 25 years and when inspected show no aging and resist removing.

I also use 33+ for any connection and make sure that if on vertical runs of coax that I start well below the joint and wrap upwards stretching the tape as I go.  This is the way roofing is put on your house and keeps water from entering the wraps.  When reaching the top of the area to be wrapped, I then reverse and wrap going down, again stretching as I wrap.  When I break tape I never secure the last 6" or so until the tape has relieved it's stretching.  Then I final wrap and the ends will not come loose.  I have found ends holding well and sometimes hard to find after being up for years.  I never carry sharp knives up with me and always tear the tape.  If you care to use the knife then it would require less time to allow the tape to relieve itself before final wrapping.  Your choice.

I worked in industry and have wrapped many joints of wiring etc.  It works for me.

My opinion!!!....never use Scotch 88.....always Scotch 33+.

73, George KR5C