[TowerTalk] C31 - 1 feed line or 3

Don Havlicek n8de at thepoint.net
Fri Sep 1 16:38:36 EDT 2006

Seems to me the original poster mentioned SWR @ frequencies of interest.

The assumption made there is that "lowest SWR = resonance".

When measuring at the shack end, that lowest SWR will indicate when the
SWR-measuring device sees an impedance closest to ITS characteristic
impedance.  This has nothing to do with "resonance" of the antenna, but,
rather, that assumption above.

Last time I was up at 80+ feet on my old tower, I was able to measure
the resonant frequency of my yagi[s] by utilizing a GDO and frequency
meter.  Then I connected the feedline[s] and shot DX.

As you may be aware, the 'lowest SWR' at the shack end of a random
length of coax will only give a relative measure of how the antenna and
feedline match the characteristic impedance of the SWR meter/device.

Don
N8DE