[TowerTalk] running cables up the tower

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Sep 1 18:29:15 EDT 2006

<snip>

> ---------------------
>
> Good coax (not that foam RG8 stuff) and all Andrew Heliax I have used do
> not
> distort under cable ties.

But the small stuff such as RG-8, LMR-400, and even 9913 probably cover
about 99% of the coax in use by hams.  For me anyghing over LMR-600 would be
overkill up through 440.  OTOH I'd sure like to find some surplus 7/8"
Heliax within easy driving distance.  At the last swap there was some 7/8"
along with some a little larger, but I could buy new LMR-600 for the price
he was asking for the 7/8".
< snip >

> I found the same with aged cable ties, even ones that are sold as UV

The ones I mentioned aged a bit fast<:-))
They were the size I prefer and I picked them up from a vendor at a swap who
assured me they were "The black UV resistant" ones.

> resistant.  I still prefer to use them though as they are easy to carry up
> the tower and install.  I just wrap with tape to protect against UV.

True, they are very handy, if undistrubed will last a long time, and do the
job if there are enough of them properly applied.  I too carry a batch of
the big ones when climbing.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)