[TowerTalk] Stainless steel cable ties

Mike Bragassa bragassa at consolidated.net
Sat Sep 2 08:57:43 EDT 2006

I am wondering if anyone has experience with stainless steel tie wraps? I
don't see them mentioned in the "coax up the tower" TowerTalk discussions.
They may have merit in tower/coax situations with their freedom from UV
damage and metal-to-metal connection. More so with heavy and/or long coax
runs, whether they be hardline coax or conventional coax.
I purchased a container of 25 pieces 5/16"x 16" for $6.99 to experiment
with.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92516
Relevant specifications:
1. 304 grade S/S      2. Rounded edges  3. 75 Lbs. maximum capacity
Et al: Made by "Storehouse"  in China. Storehouse appears to be part of
Harbor Freight. Warranty via Harbor Freight for 90 days; which is
meaningless. They do mention to prewrap the cable(s) with a "protective
sleeve to prevent damage from a tight cable tie."
I have not tried to shorten the  length. Perhaps a good pair of diagonal
cutters can do it in conjunction with flexing?
If there is any quality to them; these might be beneficial. It goes without
saying that you need only to snug them tight  and not to not torque them
down and deform the coax or damage the coax covering. This is true of any
cable tie wrap irregardless of their  material.
Mike Bragassa, K5UO