[TowerTalk] RF Quiet Router

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Sep 2 11:25:56 EDT 2006

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 07:55:44 -0500, John. wrote:

>Looking for a recommendation on a  *RF Quiet Router.

I'm not sure that there is such a thing. It's a combination of the laws of
physics and the laws of economics -- that is, the circuitry will produce the
trash, it costs money to suppress it, and the vast majority of consumers
only buy on price. If you hear about one a lot of folks, including me, would
like to know make and model.

The trash is radiated two ways. First, from the cables, mostly as common
mode. Ferrites will suppress a lot of that. See the tutorial applications
notes on my website. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish  Second, the trash
is radiated directly by internal wiring of the equipment itself because it
isn't shielded. For that, I recommend the bucket treatment.

Note also that all ethernet equipment, including routers, communicate with
other ethernet equipment, and BOTH ends have transmitters that generate
noise, so both must have their noise suppressed. This includes, for example,
the computers and printers that are attached. This is one reason that
wireless networks are finding popularity in ham stations. The wireless
protocols can be a PITA, but there's less wiring to radiate trash.

**  The bucket treatment: Fill a bucket with water. Put the offending device
in twice. Take it out once.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC