[TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Sun Sep 3 14:44:50 EDT 2006

Jim Jarvis wrote:
> Unlike Charlie Brown's kite eating tree, the antenna
> eating pinoak yielded to a 2 ton come-along.  The windom
> remains are down.  Validates my 'soft-technology' approach,
> using two small bowlines, tied in the rope and wire, in lieu of
> end-insulators.
>
> It pulled through the crotch of the branch at 70', with something
> less than 300 lbs persuasion.  Had there been an insulator, it'd be
> there permanently.

My tree guy frowns when he sees antenna ropes through tree crotches.  It
can damage the tree.  He would like to have it reseated every so often
so the tree can heal.  Much better, I think, to install a screw eye and
use that for the antenna connection, allowing suitable strain reliefs.

I wonder if there's any useful "ham thinking" about tree health.

73 Martin AA6E