[TowerTalk] Ernesto ate my windom

Dan Kovatch w8car at buckeye-express.com
Sun Sep 3 20:10:16 EDT 2006

I have used Flexweave for over 12 years with good results. I have replaced
the wire once because of a break that I caused trying to clear a limb. I
highly recommend it. I do NOT put it under lots of tension and as a matter
of fact have found it to be quite strong.

One end was attached to the top of a 40 foot tower (old style Rohn) and the
tree movement via the antenna was enough to break welds in the bottom
section of the tower. ( It was repaired and reinforced by a local welder).

I now use a simple method for stress relief. I tie loops in the antenna rope
about 6 feet apart and then join the loops with a 2 or 3 foot bungee. The
bungee then acts as a shock absorber and allows for tree movement. I use
this on any rope that is above 40 feet (rope on 160 antenna is at about 80
feet) With several bungies in the rope at different ends I have not had any
wire or rope failures.

I do not use screw eyes but shoot lines over the trees. These lines get
moved and replaced every few years and I have only had one get 'stuck' in a
tree. That was before I used the strain relief and it just grew into the
crotch of a tree.

I use the black poloy rope from Synthetic Textiles and it does not getr
eaten by the trees over the years.

FWIW
Dan
W8CAR