[TowerTalk] Force on a dish?

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Sep 4 00:46:52 EDT 2006

<snip>

>>reconfigure so that the dish is facing backward instead of forward
>>during travel.
>
> Almost no difference between those two situations (or none that is
> generic.)
>
> So, load is going to be v(mph)^2/391 pounds/square foot of cross section.

Which makes the edgewise (front to back) for larger dishes look the best to
me. It substantially reduces the wind load in the direction of travel. OTOH
if it's in a pick up truck you sure don't want to get caught in much of a
cross wind. <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)