[TowerTalk] Garolite

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Mon Sep 4 23:33:08 EDT 2006

Hi Stan,

I do indeed use 12x12x1 inch type LE phenolic (trade name: Garolite) plates on my stacked 3 element 40M Yagis.  However, since I use T-matched and not split driven elements, I think your question is:  how should I support the center of a split 40 meter driven element?

You might inquire of K3LR about the mechanical design of his split 40 meter full size driven elements.  I doubt that he relies on a rod as the primary source of mechanical strength.  If I were to design a split full size 40 meter element, I'd probably use a molded phenolic rod at the center, then mount the entire assembly on a beefy aluminum channel, perhaps 3 feet long.  There are a variety of techniques to satisfactorily insulate and fasten the driven element to the channel.

Phenolic and fiberglas rods are commonly manufactured by using a lathe on flat plate stock.  You can see the grain of the original flat plate if you examine the surface of of phenolic or fiberglas rod. This type of rod is significantly more susceptible to moisture intrusion and is significantly weaker than rods that were originally molded into a rod shape.  McMaster does not stock molded rods, they must be purchased from a plastics supplier.

Molded phenolic rod has no visible grain on the outer surface, but you can see the grain on the ends of the rod, it looks like the grain of a tree trunk.  Molded rod is highly resistant to moisture intrusion and just as strong as phenolic plate (and much stronger and moisture resistant than rod manufactured from plate).

73!
Frank
W3LPL