[TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wesattaway at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 4 23:33:29 EDT 2006

Tom .... one more idea .... people talk about using weights on
the down line from a pulley.  I have been using what I think is a
better option.  I just loosely wrap the dacron line around the
base of the tree and tie it off with a simple loop-type knot
(like you would use on a boat to stop a line from running back
out).  I'm not sure of the real name for the knot.

It really works great because there is some "play" in the line
that keeps things from breaking.  The line just pulls up a bit
when tension is on it, but the friction around a decent sized
tree is enough to stop it from moving very much.  Also, there is
no need to screw anything into the base of the tree, or to hang
any kind of weight that will swing around in the wind or try to
bend your screw-eye.  It does not harm the tree.  Moreover, it is
not real obvious and is nice from an esthetic standpoint.  You
can just coil the excess line and lay it on the ground and cover
it with leaves.

Again, give it a try.