[TowerTalk] Insulated Elements

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Sep 5 20:54:32 EDT 2006

Stan,

A few days before a 1975 CW DX contest, I stacked a 3 element 20 meter Yagi about 8 feet over an existing full size 3 element 40 meter Yagi on a 140 foot tower.  I checked out the 20 meter Yagi on the air, and it worked great.  I foolishly did not check the 40 meter Yagi before the contest, thinking "nothing could go wrong."   huh...

As usual, I started the DX contest on the low end of 40 meter CW expecting 120++ rates.  The band was in great condition, but I couldn't get a decent run going with my 40M Yagi...   I started S&P and was consistently getting beaten in routine pileups.  Then I noticed that the strength of the European signals didn't change when I pointed the 40M Yagi south...    Shortly afterwards I climbed the 140 foot tower in the middle of the night, with a flashlight in hand,thinking that something obvious would be wrong but everything looked perfect.

I mulled this over while operating all night and decided that the all metal construction of the 20M Yagi must have top loaded the 8 foot mast to create a top loaded 40M vertical connected to the all-metal 40M Yagi.  During some slower periods on Saturday, I constructed an insulated plate to replace the boom-to-mast plate on the 20M Yagi.  In mid-afternoon, I climbed the tower again, and replaced the aluminum 20M boom-to-mast plate with the insulated plate.

Voila...   the 40M Yagi worked great and it was off to the races to recover from the disastrous first night.   That was the first W3LPL single op (yes... I did that all thru the 70s)first place finish in the ARRL DX Contest.

Since then, I've always mounted elements using type LE phenolic plates.  This helps to avoid "surprise" effects as described above.  While you could also insulate booms from masts, I've never done that except for that one "emergency" repair described above.

73!
Frank
W3LPL