[TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and Cushcraft LogPeriodic?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Sep 6 09:34:11 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211 at sbcglobal.net>

> The Cushcraft will change bands instantly where the SteppIR takes a
> few seconds.
>
> Comment:- I really do not notice the time, by the time you tune the rig
> the
> antenna is there.

In most applications I would agree. The one place where the log
has an advantage is for a frequency agile mode like ALE (automatic
link established) where you are constantly hopping quickly from
one band to another. You can't beat the log for that.

> I'm a KISS kind of guy so I'm leaning toward the Cushcraft, but my
> mind is not made up. Price is not really that important; I just want
> something that will do the job and be reliable.
>
> Comment:- I have had my 3 element up three years and no problems with
> reliability , I don't have to worry so much about lightning storms
> (retract
> the elements). The antenna does not seem so prone to rain static, seem
> much
> quieter.  Plus you can get the 40/30 meter option and work those bands as
> well.  It does not work half bad on 6 meters either, a bonus in my
> opinion.

A friend of mine has a MonsterIR. There was a problem with the
antenna whereby it got locked in some random configuration (not
tuned for any ham band). It took something like a month of
troubleshooting with Fluid Motion Systems before they determined
that the all of the stepper motors had to be upgraded (originally they
thought the problems was with the controller in the shack). He had
to drop the antenna off the tower to implement the fix on each of
the motors.  Major PITA. Don't get me wrong, it's a great antenna.
He really loves it and he has a terrific signal, but its a complex
electromechanical assembly up high in the air.