[TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and Cushcraft LogPeriodic?

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Wed Sep 6 11:13:05 EDT 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 05:50:38 -0000, "David Hachadorian"
 <k6ll at adelphia.net> wrote:

>I think you are looking at the 2 el Steppir specs for that
>6.6 dBi gain.
>
>Look at the 3 el specs and you will see that the HF gain
>varies from 7.4 to 9.0 dBi, depending on band.
>http://www.steppir.com/

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

You're right, I was looking at the two element SteppIR. However the
three element shows only a 1 dB advantage on 20 meters, 7.4 vs 6.4.
The other bands are higher for the SteppIR.

For DXing I would go with the higher gain, but for contesting (my
primary activity) higher gain is not necessarily best because
beamwidth becomes narrower at the same time gain is increased. It's
easy to miss someone off the side of the main lobe.

Everything is a tradeoff, isn't it? :-)

--
Bill, W6WRT