[TowerTalk] Grounding Roof-Mounted Mast

Kevin Hemsley kev at ida.net
Wed Sep 6 17:05:18 EDT 2006

I had a question posed to me today that I'm not sure what to recommend. The installation is at a commercial building. They wish to install a 2M vertical on top of a two-story building. They currently have a 60' tower with HF antenna that is located 150' from where a new mast will be installed for the 2M vertical. They want to ground the mast, and wanted to know if they should run a separate ground wire for this mast, or to run a ground wire to the tower which is approximately 150' away. A direct ground wire will be about 75' from the mast to the ground. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
                  Kevin.
Kevin Hemsley
kev at ida.net