[TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and Cushcraft LogPeriodic?

Scott Honaker scotthon at pilchuckvet.com
Wed Sep 6 20:25:07 EDT 2006

How true.  It took a bit of selling to get a decent tower, however.  The
best pitch was an aerial photograph of the house from the county and a
handmade overlay showing the guy footprint of a 140' tower I was
"considering".  When I instead decided on a 70' tower, there were no issues.
With all else equal, visual impact is worth quite a bit.  It also implies
lower wind loading, simplified construction/installation, etc.  It was
certainly true for the (similar performing) competitors I considered.

It's interesting to see the current 6m specs.  I have an early model SteppIR
that did some funky 180 degree thing on 6m and didn't provide those numbers.
I understand there is an upgrade to change this but I never bothered.  Maybe
I will after all.

73,

Scott N7SS