[TowerTalk] SteppIR v. Logs

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Sep 7 01:44:46 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis at verizon.net>

> Mike wrote:
>
> A friend of mine has a MonsterIR. There was a problem with the
> antenna whereby it got locked in some random configuration (not
> tuned for any ham band). It took something like a month of
> troubleshooting with Fluid Motion Systems before they determined
> that the all of the stepper motors had to be upgraded (originally they
> thought the problems was with the controller in the shack). He had
> to drop the antenna off the tower to implement the fix on each of
> the motors.  Major PITA. Don't get me wrong, it's a great antenna.
> He really loves it and he has a terrific signal, but its a complex
> electromechanical assembly up high in the air.
> 73, Mike W4EF..............................................
> -0-
>
> Not to be critical of a non-sequitur, Mike, but the question concerned
> a 3 el SteppIR, which has been on-market for 4+ years now.
>
> Will new products have gotchas?  u betcha!  Having to take off a
> MonstIR is a huge pain in the gotchas.   But I can honestly say that
> I was 2 hours from box to tower with my 3el, ran it through a VT winter,
> and never had a problem.  Would have longer experience, but relocation
> got in the way.  Anticipating another 3 el, with 30/40m DE, for suburbia.
>
> N2EA

Yes, point well taken, Jim. My friend was on the early waiting list for the
MonsterIR, so he appears to have been a victim of the new product learning
curve. For his sake, I hope the fix is just that and not a band-aid.  BTW,
my point was not to slam the antenna, but just to point out that there are
moving parts up there high in the air that can fail (just like a rotator).
If I
ever get around to putting up a rotary antenna at this QTH, it will probably
be a 3 element SteppIR and I'd put up the Monster if I had the room
(my lot is too small).

73, Mike W4EF.............