[TowerTalk] "bias Tee" from MFJ and others

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 14:00:11 EDT 2006

At 08:34 AM 9/7/2006, K4SAV wrote:
>They are very simple as you expected.  The design process is straight
>forward.  It's just a capacitor in series with the coax line, and an
>inductor connected to the center line, and on the other end of the
>inductor the dc is injected. There is a bypass capacitor to ground at
>the point where the dc is injected. You need two of these circuits, one
>at each end.
>
><snip of useful design details>
>Jerry, K4SAV

My question is two fold:

1) what practical experience have people had with them, particularly
in terms of interactions with other widgets (i.e. transient
suppressors).  The Ameritron remote antenna switches we have at W6VIO
are incompatible with the transient suppressors we have, because the
transient suppressor has a DC path to ground, which shorts out the
control signal.

2) What about NEC issues (class 2 power wiring and the like)?

3) Of the commercially available parts, what's the pros and cons? For
instance, SGC also sells a DC injector (bias T under another name) at
roughly $100/pair. I've not found them yet in the Tessco catalog, but
I'm sure they're there.  This is before I break down and build one myself.