[TowerTalk] use of backhoe to dig tower holes

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Thu Sep 7 16:24:06 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith at comcast.net>
>  It is real hard for a backhoe to dig a narrow, square hole that
> is very deep.

True enough--except that rather than use my little Kubota backhoe I hired it
done and the backhoe that was used had a hydraulic
telescoping capability on the arm that holds the bucket.  It would extend 6'
or 8' or so beyond the length of the arm and made the job of digging a deep
but narrow, square hole easy.  Not many backhoes have the telescoping
feature but if you shop around you might find one.  This was a big rig and
the charge was $60 per hour with a two hour minimum.  No transportation
charge though.

k7puc