[TowerTalk] WSJ: Home copper thefts rise - Elmer Story

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Fri Sep 8 12:52:35 EDT 2006

My Elmer, K0JDB, told me this story some 40 years ago....  Ray was a telegrapher for the Santa Fe Railroad out here on the plains of Kansas.

  During the 30's, no one had any money to buy anything, so some inventive radio ops (and others) would take some fence wire and jumper the #12 and #10 copper wire from the pole to the farmer's barbed wire fence.  Then they would go down a mile and do the same.  Then they would cut down the copper between the two points.  The railroad did not know they were running communcation on the farmer's fence until it fell over and grounded out.  Inventive, but illegal.

  Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.