[TowerTalk] Soil resistivity test done: Some questions

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat Sep 9 15:49:17 EDT 2006

Actually ohm-m or ohm-cm is correct, a couple definitions that make it
clearer:

resistivity-(Also called specific resistance.) The electrical resistance per
unit length and per unit reciprocal cross-sectional area of a given material
at a specified temperature.
It is also possible to define the resistivity of a substance as the
resistance of a cube of that substance having edges of unit length, with the
understanding that the current flows normal to opposite faces and is
distributed uniformly over them. Resistivity is commonly expressed in units
of ohm centimeters. The reciprocal of resistivity is conductivity.

Resistivity - an intrinsic property of a material determining the materials
resistance to the flow of current. Resistance in ohms is equal to the
resistivity of the material multiplied by the cross sectional area of the
material divided by the length of the material. Resistivity is frequently
used to specify electrically active doping level and also as a measure of
the ionic content of water.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net